People ask me all the time for advice on becoming a successful real estate broker. Here are my top five tips. These points are simplified from the reality of my ride to the present day – which was much messier. Yours will be too! That’s why it helps to have some principles to stick to.
1. Envision the agent you wish to be
Before you do anything else, you need to know what kind of agent you want to be. Write it down. Make it real.
Some things to consider are:
- What type of properties do I want to sell and in what areas?
- What community do I want to serve?
- What do I want my clients to say about working with me?
The more you know about who you want to be, the better your chances of becoming her.
2. Let the people know
You could be the most promising agent out there, but it won’t make a difference if nobody knows who you are. Set up accounts on all social media platforms. Send a newsletter. Email your friends and family and ask them to spread the word. Create a website for yourself, even if it’s just one page with your picture and contact info on it. Dress yourself up online as the real estate broker you want to be. When someone googles you, what they find can be the difference between getting the listing or missing out. That’s the sizzle.
3. See as much product as possible
Now for the steak. You are in the business of selling property, (that’s the steak you’re selling), and one of the best ways to get good at selling property is to see as many properties as you possibly can.
Once you’ve decided what area you want to focus on, create a daily ritual of checking out your biggest competitors to see what they’re listing. Your list should include:
- Instagram (and any other platforms your competitors use to tease out their product)
- Your MLS
- Zillow/Streeteasy/ Trulia
- Personal connections: find out what your competitors are listing.
4. Make time for all of the above
At this point you may have read the first three steps and thought, this isn’t so difficult. I can do this! Yes, you can do this, but it will take time. Even though it might be unpaid time, it is a crucial investment in your future success. Find at least an hour each day to devote to your own professional development. What does this look like?
- Listening to podcasts about selling (specifically real estate is key)
- Taking continuing education courses specific to your market
- Creating a community with like minded agents at your firm to hear what they do to succeed
5. Align yourself with those who are already doing the work
One of the best ways to get yourself out there is to find an experienced agent, broker, or even manager whom you can shadow. If that’s not possible, take any opportunity to be in situations where you can observe other agents who are successful in their business.
Even better, get yourself on a team. Having a community of other agents who share the same goals as you will not only be more fun, but also will accelerate your evolution as an agent. The more you eat, sleep, breathe all things real estate, the faster your own career will bloom.
6. Last, but not least
Starting is the hardest part. That’s the most important thing to remember. How do you really get to the top of the Real Estate game? You accept the hard, take the plunge, and keep going until you are who you dreamed you could be. Send me a message and let me know how it’s going for you!
Share this article with your community: